Level 3 - Practitioner
The Penetration Testing Essentials course is designed to provide practitioners with working knowledge of the cyber security challenges facing their environments.
This course is aimed at teaching students the basics of penetration testing to prepare them for the boot camp certification level course.
Who should attend?
- Those moving into the information security sector from a different sector.
- Those who would like to learn about penetration testing but are not ready for an accreditation level course.
- Those who want to learn how adversaries target their companies.
- New graduates moving into employment.
- Those who are retraining including those leaving military service.
There are pre-requisites to this course, such as:
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems including navigation of file systems, installation and execution of applications and use of text editors.
If you are unsure on any of these skills or your level please contact us to discuss them further.
What you will learn on this course?
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Prepare a new penetration testing environment.
- Plan and prepare a penetration testing operation.
- Build and customise various VM’s for attacking or testing.
- Install, deploy and customise penetration testing tools.
- Conduct operating system and technology reconnaissance.
- Scan and map target device or network.
- Obtain and maintain access to a target device or network.
- Perform escalation of privileges within a target network or device.
- Manage system logs and cover tracks when exiting target device or network.
The course consists of 4 days of classroom training.
The course contains hands-on exercises and examples of the hacking lifecycle to reinforce theory taught by our instructors.
Part 1: Performing basic OSINT and reconnaissance of a target network.
Part 2: Scanning of target network and completing a vulnerability assessment.
Part 3: Performing basic exploitation.
Part 4: Performing and maintaining privileged escalation.
Part 5: Covering tracks and exiting the target network.
Part 6: Completing a Capture the Flag style exercise to demonstrate skills covered in the first 5 part of the training course.
What training should follow on from this?
This course is a Level 3 Practitioner course but it can be used as preparation for more focused training such as:
- Siker ICS405: Securing ICS course.
- EC-Council: Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).
- GIAC Global Penetration Tester Professional (GPEN) certification.